VTAAC has developed two workgroups to address the strategies in the Vermont State Cancer Plan.
The Prevention & Detection workgroup is charged with developing strategies to meet the Prevention and Detection Goals of the Vermont State Cancer Plan (Goals 1-2, 4-6). Nicole Lukas (VDH) is co-chair for the new workgroup and a workplan was created. There are currently 4 taskforces working in this group. The workgroup met in August to approve strategies for the 2020 State Cancer Plan and will meet again on December 10th to address takforces.
The Quality of Life workgroup is charged with developing strategies to achieve the Quality of Life Goals (#10-15) in the Vermont State Cancer Plan. These goals cover written survivorship plans, palliative care, emotional/ psychosocial support, complementary medicine and end-of-life care. Kathy McBeth (UVMMC) is the chair. The workgroup met in August to approve strategies for the 2020 State Cancer Plan and will meet again on November 20th to address taskforces.
Task Force Updates
- The Quality of Life workgroup is reviewing its taskforces for 2015-16.
- The Prevention and Detection workgroup has four taskforces: Colorectal is chaired by Justin Pentenrieder (ACS) will be promoting the national 80% by 2018 screening program; Breast & Cervical is chaired by Nicole Lukas (VDH) and is looking to set up a free screening day in 2016; HPV is chaired by Chris Finley (VDH) and is looking at messaging for parents and educators; and Sun Safety is chaired by Sharon Mallory (VDH) has met to address the rising rate of melanoma in Vermont and is looking into developing a training program on skin cancer screening.
- The Men’s Health taskforce chaired by Scott Perrapato (UVMMC) is looking at several projects to raise awareness on Men’s Health issues and support for research on men’s cancers. They presented the Men’s Health Conference held on June 26, 2015. A Men’s Cancer Resource page has been created on the VTAAC website.
- The Legislative Committee, chaired by Jill Sudhoff-Guerin (ACSCAN) has produced a Legislative report for this year’s session.
- The Membership Committee, chaired by Ali Johnson (VDH) has instituted a membership registration form and a member database.
Participation on all workgroups, taskforces, and committees is open to all VTAAC members. If you are interested in working on any group please contact David Cranmer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 802-872-6303.